1. All driver’s licenses have an expiration date; however, it can be renewed up to 3 months before the expiration date.
2. To make an appointment for renewal, call Banco de Costa Rica (BCR) at 800- BCR-CITA (800-2272482), to request an appointment (ask if there are any cancelled appointments so you may go as soon as possible). You can request to do the renewal in the branch closest to you. However, if it is urgent to renew, then pick the branch that can take you the soonest. Write down the time and place of appointment. Do not arrive late.
If you do not want an appointment, you can go directly to Cosevi, however, they do not have a bank so you must have your receipt of payment “entero” duly paid.
****Requirements to renew your Costa Rican driver’s license:
1. Any pending tickets must be paid; they can be paid at the time of renewal at the Banco de Costa Rica (BCR).
2. Medical exam (₡20,000 colones)
3. License this to a maximum term of 3 months of expiring or that has already expired.
4. Identification in good condition (ID or residency card)
5. Photocopy of the that identification.
6. Payment of the receipt “entero” should be made on the same day of renewal at the bank.
7. $7.00 that the BCR charges as banking commission.
Article written by: Licda. MSc. Gabriela María Elizondo Alpízar
Uvita Law Firm. April, 2017.